January 19, 2013

January Topbox Review

I got my January Topbox on Thursday and was surprised to see this month's box had a Clinique theme. Don't get me wrong I'm a huge Clinique fan, but being a regular buyer of their products already I usually rack up a lot of "free gift with purchase" bags filled with deluxe samples throughout the year at the department stores. The downside of this is that this box didn't give me a lot of new things to try, but the plus side is I can provide a decent review of the products having used them for a while now.





As you can see, the four products I received were all good sized samples to properly try out the products. I really hate the one or two time use products I sometimes receive in my sample boxes. You really can't tell if the product is doing what it's supposed to from just one use -__-. 

Clinique Clarifying Lotion 2

"Formulated to help lift the world's impurities to create healthier younger skin."
Full Size: $16 (200mL), $27 (400mL)

I love this stuff. I've been using it for about three years now. I've only ever purchased the full size once though because it's always in the free gift bag they give me when I buy other stuff and on top of that the full size is huge and lasts a long time already. The sample size I got is 60mL. I use this every day after washing my face before putting on moisturizer. It does a great job taking off anything my face wash may have missed as well as dead skin without overly drying out my skin like other toners. I have really dry to combination skin so #2 works for me. If you have extremely dry skin try using #1 and use #3-4 only if you have oily combination skin.

Rinse Off Eye Makeup Solvent

"Make it a clean sweep, from lashes to brows. Or use for on-the-spot 
makeup fixes. Oil-free."
Full Size: $25 (125mL)

I've never actually purchased this stuff, but I have gone through two of these sample sized bottles already. Again, this is a 60mL sample and will last a good few months. This isn't my favourite makeup remover, but it isn't bad either. It does a great job removing all eye makeup except for waterproof mascara. Waterproof mascara is usually a pain to remove anyways though especially for an oil-free remover. When I wear my regular eye makeup with non-waterproof mascara I use this one to remove everything and save my stronger remover for waterproof days. With persistence and a lot of rubbing you can remove waterproof stuff, but I wouldn't recommend doing that to your lashes. Don't even try this stuff on the crazy Japanese fiber mascaras, they won't budge.

Colour Surge Eye Shadow Duo

"Go-together shades of silky, easy-to-blend colour in a chrome slide compact"
Full Size: $25 (2.5g)

This one pretty big for a "sample" and I was sure it's a full size, but according to the package it's 1g lighter than a full sized one lol. I got the strawberry fudge duo. The colours aren't extremely pigmented however you can layer them and build colour so that's good. It's a very versatile compact you can chuck in your bag for touch ups. The great thing is you can keep it with you and take your look from day to night by building up the intensity later. The cover it slides into has a chrome finish you can use as a mirror too. Unfortunately mine had a bunch of scratches already :(.The shadow itself is very smooth and glides on easily with a hint of shimmer.

Repairwear Laser Focus Wrinkle & UV Damage Corrector

"A second chance for skin against sun damage and wrinkles. At 12 weeks, 
the visible wrinkle-reducing power is remarkably close to a dermatological 
laser procedure. 63%, to be exact."
Full Size: $57 (30mL), $86 (50mL)

I'm excited to try this one! I've never received this product before so at least there's one new thing to try this month. The consistency is like a runny moisturizer? Okay actually a better way to describe it would be a milky serum. Doesn't look like this sample will last 12 weeks so I probably won't see any extreme results from this sample, but we'll see. So far it goes on comfortably and doesn't make me feel greasy.

Final Thoughts

Despite having a lot of Clinique samples already, I still enjoyed this month's Topbox. Can't complain that I'm receiving more of stuff I already use and love. For those who haven't tried these products, I think they'd enjoy them. Their products are all fragrance free and perfect for sensitive skin types. 

For those of you wondering what Topbox is, it is a monthly subscription service which sends a box of 4-5 deluxe samples to your door every month for $12 a month. Sometimes you even get full sized products. I've been a Topbox subscriber since March 2011 and they've been really good so far at sending a variety of quality products to try out. I would recommend anyone who loves trying new beauty products to subscribe. However, there is a waiting list for new subscriptions. Visit www.Topbox.ca for more information.

I also subscribe to Glymm. I'll be reviewing my Glymm bag when it arrives so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment